Let’s start kite-surfing!
Holidays are a perfect time to start learning an activity, especially with family or as a group. Engaging in fun family activities early on is a worthy habit to start at a young age! That way, as teenagers and young adults, they will lust for their past family adventures and come back for more. In our case, kitesurfing was the perfect choice for our family! Here are our best spots and tips to start learning kite-surf as a family.
– Sign up to the local kite surfing school and spend 2 to 3 hours a day during 4 consecutive days of kite surfing.
– The first lesson teaches how to control your kite on the beach
– Then you will spend 1 to 2 days water-dragging and don’t mind the occasional full-nasal rinse!
– Over time, you master your board and learn how to hold the kite with only one hand
– Your family will be able to have an instructor dedicated to your experience
Good Kite-surf spots & schools
Here are some great spots & schools recommended by our travel community:
– Cap hatterasNorth Carolina, US – a perfect spot for beginners & kids – Real Water sports.
– Miami, Key Biscane, US: Miami Kite Boarding school
Cabarete, Dominican Republic: Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding
– Conditions can be difficult for beginners.
– We rented a condo straight on the beach trough airbnb! Perfect for a family of 5. Lovely decoration, very modern and cosy, at a footstep from the kite surf school and all restaurants on Cabarete Beach.
Atins Lençois Maranhenses, Brazil: Atins Kite Boarding
Lodging: Pousada Vila Guara
“Beautiful pousada on the beach held by a nice French family, with 4 big bungalows (5 persons), a nice restaurant with breakfast, lunch and dinner and a swimming pool which is very nice for the children who are always playing there together. The restaurant is closed two times a week, so there is a buggy that brings you to Jericoacoara from 6pm to 10pm, there are lots of little shops and restaurants but what I liked the most was simply to eat some skewers with a caipirinha at the beach. They have a kite school there with very good teachers. It is also possible to do some amazing horse back riding with galops on the beach and in the national park, with or without a guide.”
Highlight on Tarifa, Spain
Laila and her family spent 5 days in Tarifa Spain, a world renown kite surf spot.
– Laila’s family highly recommend Addict Kiteschool. Founded and managed by a French couple, Marine & Romain.
– They were really very professional & dedicated to help us enjoy & learn kitesurfing!
Where we stayed?
Silos 19: A great Bed & Breakfast in a typical Spanish mansion. Laila’s family had a fantastic family room perfect for 5, with an incredible rooftop area to chill out. Our contact person, Simona, did everything to guide us & make our stay unforgettable.
Another great place is Eole. Choice of charming apartments & rooms from 2 pp to 10 pp
Where to eat?
A frequent Tarifa vacationer recommended the following restaurants, tested by Laila’s family:
– For breakfast: Cafe 10
– For a quick lunch: very lively beach bars on Playa de Los Lances with burgers & salads.
– For dinner: Mic Moc, Bar El Frances, Lola (Laila’s favorite Tapa’s place), La Tratoria (delicious pizza’s), Silos restaurante (Gourmet cuisine…delicious)
– Laila recommend to stay in the town of Tarifa. You can walk to any restaurants, shops, bars.
– The drive to the beach is short but you will encounter heavy traffic late morning. Leave early to the beach!
– Tarifa’s beach is crowded with Kite Surfers. Tarifa is not the easiest spot to start learning. However, we did it & we had great fun!