TO MAINE, US.
14 NIGHTS/5 STOPS
Wilderness, Hiking and Sailing.
Sophie and Fabrice are from Brussels, Belgium and traveled to Maine in the US with their 2 teenagers girls Julie and Margaux, together with 2 other families. In total, the group was made up of 6 adults, 5 teenagers and 2 kids. The 3 families are used to travel together and they love to mix original and adventurous lodging places with more comfortable hotels or rentals. They went sailing, hiking in a very remote area, and discovered the beautiful Acadia National Park in a very typical Bed and Breakfast. They also ate a lot of lobsters, Maine’s culinary speciality. This 14-day trip has a lot of variety. Our budget for the whole trip was around $ 2480 per person for 14 nights (excluded food and activities).
14 nights & 5 stops
from June to October
road trip & wilderness
Photo ©lailabog ©sophieherpain
ABOUT SOPHIE: a painter, Sophie lives in Brussels, Belgium, with Fabrice, and two teenage daughters. She enjoys family time: games, discussions, good food and discovering local cultures through their hosts (B&B, small family hotels, special lodging, etc…) During her holiday, she plans enough time to relax and combines this with a favorite family activity: diving/snorkeling or hiking. She loves to mix original and adventurous lodging places with more comfortable hotels or rentals.
WHAT SOPHIE LOVED ABOUT THIS TRIP
Eating lobsters everyday & everywhere
Sailing trip on a Windjammer
The wilderness of Baxter State Park
BRUSSELS – NEW YORK
8,5 hours direct flight
$880 per person
1900 km in 14 days
23 hours on the road – 5 stops
AVERAGE BUDGET PER PERSON
$2480 / pp for 14 nights (excluded food and activities)
$1400 /pp for 14 nights
$200 /pp for car rental for 14 days $880 /pp
GOOD TO KNOW
– You can also consider taking as starting point Boston, US or Montreal, Canada for this itinerary. This will reduce your driving time to Maine.
– If you want to enjoy a glass of white wine or red wine don’t forget to bring it with you both in Baxter State Park and on the Windjammer sailing cruise.
– There are very qualitative supermarkets in the state of Maine. Don’t forget to stop in Bangor on your way to the Baxter State park to buy your food for your stay in the park.
– If we went back, we would stay in South West Harbor. instead of Winter Harbor. It’s closer to Acadia Park, is very cute, and is not too touristic.
– Tipping in the US is mandatory. You should add between 15-25% on any restaurant bill.